Tuesday, December 2, 2008

another long one

Lately I've had a few questions on my mind that I can't seem to let go of.

Why do bad things happen to good people?

I truly don't understand. I see my friends suffer from various trials and events in their lives and I cannot witness it anymore. Most people ask "Why me?" when experiencing something they perceive as negative. I ask, "why NOT me?" I would rather take on any of my friends trials than see them suffer. Unfortunately this entire life is a trial, and people have experiences tailor-made for them. We are literally on trial for what we believe and we must take a stand or we will fall.

I see people who are so wonderful, gracious, and kind, experience the most awful things. Conversely I see people who are so heinous wreaking havoc get away with anything, never seeing the repercussions of their behavior. Where is the justice?

That being said, here's another question... is revenge ever sweet?

Even though I cannot stand when people are awful, I would never wish bad things upon them. I only want justice. Sometimes I want revenge so badly and when it comes, I feel horrible. Most often I would have never wished that upon the person. Sometimes vengeance overcomes me, and then I become the awful one. So is revenge sweet? Nope, there's no such thing.

I think bad things happen to good people to help others (like myself) have a paradigm shift. I look up to and revere people who have bad things happen to them, yet they continue on. It's not easy, but they make it look so. There are people in this life that experience bad things to stand as an example for others. I KNOW I can be better and endure my own trials more graciously.

As far as vengeance and justice is concerned? Maybe I'll never see people get what they deserve. I might never see the heinous individual fall. Maybe God's way of "justice" is blessing me so immensely as to distract me from the horrible things around me. Maybe the Lord just wants me to be happy and stop looking for justice. Or maybe that IS the justice... that I am truly being blessed. Either way, I trust the Lord and His timetable. Things will come to fruition in His due time and all I have to do is continue to be obedient to His will.

4 comments:

rachel said...

amen

Linda said...

WELL SAID Pumpkin! Trust me, revenge is never sweet and cankers the soul. Being truly free is being free of a guilty conscience. People will get theirs and they NEVER truly get away with it.

The Winkelman's said...

You are one smart cookie. And I truly believe that Heavenly Father has a plan for every person and those who seem to be "getting away" with everything will pay the price in due time. I love that you are looking out for others who are experiencing trials. You have a big heart.

Tyler and Megan said...

I think you make an extremely good point Kat! I think you are right on the money...I feel the same sometimes about people getting away with things and feeling as if there is no justice...but then I guess I don't get to see every aspect of their life...maybe the justice is ten fold and horrid. Either way learning to just be happy in your life and not worrying about others punishment is hard thing but a good thing to do....way to go.