Do you remember the movie The Princess Bride? Of course you do, everyone knows that movie, and can quote it all day long. I know I can.
I remember the first time I heard that phrase, "slow going?" It was from the movie, when the man in black (dear sweet Wesley) is climbing up the cliffs of insanity, and Inigo Montoya says, "Hello there! Slow going?" The man in black answers, "Look, I don't mean to be rude, but this isn't as easy as it looks, so I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't distract me." (I told you I could quote this movie!!)
You know the rest from this point, right? Inigo gets really impatient and decides to throw him the rope, so the man in black can get up there faster and they can get to the fighting. Remember the man in black's hesitancy when Inigo promises not to harm him until he reaches the top safely? Remember how he had to trust Inigo? The man in black reaches the top safely, and Inigo gives him the chance to rest before the fight and he says, "Wo, wo wo, wait until you are ready." They even have a nice little conversation, and Inigo says, "So, you are ready then?... You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you."
Then, the duel! The man in black wins of course, and runs to save Princess Buttercup.
I feel like the man in black right now. I attempted the huge feat of graduating school, (may have been much easier for you, but school never came easy for me)... and I was climbing the "cliffs of insanity." Truly, I was driving myself insane.
Then I got sick. Someone cut off my rope. I was making good headway, and even though it was very hard to climb that rope by myself and literally pull own weight, I was making progress.
When my rope was cut, I held onto those rocks for dear life. Everyone wants me to get up, and climb those rocks, so I can begin the challenge that awaits me at the top. The fight of trying to see if my teachers will work with me, or if I have to withdraw from school, the fight of medical bills, and seeing how much insurance will take care of all this...etc etc.
I will inevitably reach the top. Someone (God) will throw me a rope, and I'll reach the top. Just please give me the same courtesy that Inigo did for the man in black. Let me rest before I begin the fight. I'll try not to let anyone down. I'm slow going, and I need the rest. I AM improving, sometimes it feels like 2 steps forward 1 step back, but I'll make it, and fight the good fights I need to survive. :)
3 comments:
Great post, great analogy. Hang in there! Love you!
You will get there my dear. Just take a deep breath and rely on Him who makes it all possible. Sometimes we have to remember that we can't do it all on our own, ya know? Yep, you do.
I couldn't be happier for you Doll. You are doing such a great job getting through this most difficult time. After living with you for a month, I was reminded over and over again about how much I love your choice for a husband. I am truly lucky to be your mother, and I love you very much. I didn't need to be reminded, but it makes me cherish you all the more to see you so brave in this most trying of circumstances. Shout out to Travis the Wonderful! I LOVE YOU BOTH, and Miss Pepper too. Please bite her on the neck for me. I kinda sorta totally miss her. (this is Mom, and I'm stuck on Dad's profile, I'm sorry, it's a MAC and I don't know how to use it)
Post a Comment