Thursday, November 5, 2009

a very nice compliment

Today as I walked into class, a fellow student said, "I need some of your medicine, Kat." I was assuming he was talking about my Loritab I was using from my wisdom teeth surgery over 2 weeks ago. I have some left, but I was sure was not going to give them to him. Without trying to call him out on being a druggie, I said, "I'm not sure what you're talking about..."

His response was, "Everytime without fail, you come in here smiling, cheerful and happy. I'm not sure what you're taking, but I want some of it."

No one has ever said that to me before! I've been on this "trying to be positive" kick for the past several months now, and it's finally paying off! It was challenging at first, but it gets easier everyday. It was super nice of him to say that. It made me want to be even more positive and happy.

Lately I've been thinking that any time I hear something positive from someone else about another person, I've made it my goal to approach that person and let them know the positive things that are being said about them. I used to do this with gossip. Oh you better believe that if something negative was said about someone, I'd run to that person and say "Oh my gosh, you won't believe what this person is saying about you!!!"

Not anymore.

I still say that same sentence, but the following comments are always positive. I'm trying to make sure that gossip stops with me. I can't ensure that other people won't talk badly, but I can try to make sure it doesn't continue because of me.

Also, if I see a good behavior or trait in someone that I want to develop or that I think is good, I tell that person. I think people don't hear it enough, and sometimes they truly don't know that other people feel that way about them. My mother-in-law says that any time we have a person or a thought about them pop into our minds, it's because Heavenly Father wants us to give that person a hug for Him.

I can do that. Maybe that person just needs to feel loved, and if I can be the instrument for Heavenly Father, then I will. Or maybe it's even more simple than that. I just want people to know I think they're awesome. Don't we all want to hear it?

2 comments:

Erin:) said...

kat! i think you are awesome! seriously:) i LOVE this post, and i really feel inspired to be more like you!!:) i think you are absolutely fabulous and i know i sure dont tell you often enough:)

Matt and Mal said...

Love this! You're so great. I'm want to do this too :) Thanks for the inspiration!